- Use Ubuntu live disk to boot up.
- Select Install Ubuntu on hard disk.
- Keep on following the wizard.
- Select the Erase Ubuntu and reinstall option (the third option in the image).
How do I reset a Linux machine?
Linux system restart
- To reboot the Linux system from a terminal session, sign in or “su”/”sudo” to the “root” account.
- Then type “ sudo reboot ” to reboot the box.
- Wait for some time and the Linux server will reboot itself.
How do I reset Ubuntu without losing data?
Here are the steps to follow for reinstalling Ubuntu.
Step 1: Create a live USB. First, download Ubuntu from its website. You can download whichever Ubuntu version you want to use. Download Ubuntu. …
Step 2: Reinstall Ubuntu. Once you have got the live USB of Ubuntu, plugin the USB. Reboot your system.
How do I restore Ubuntu to factory settings?
There is no such thing as factory reset in ubuntu. You have to run a live disk/usb drive of any linux distro and backup your data and then reinstall ubuntu.
How do I completely reinstall Ubuntu from terminal?
Input “sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh -a” into the terminal and press “Enter.” Allow the command to process and the system to reinstall the Ubuntu distribution package.
To start with automatic reset, follow the below steps:
- Click on Automatic Reset option in the Resetter window. …
- Then it will list all the packages that it will be going to remove. …
- It will start the reset process and creates a default user and will provide you with credentials. …
- When finished, reboot your system.
How do I do a factory reset?
Factory reset: Step by step
- Open up your settings.
- Go to System > Advanced > Reset Options > Erase All Data (Factory Reset) > Reset Phone.
- You may need to enter a password or PIN.
- Finally, tap Erase Everything.
Is reboot and restart same?
Reboot, restart, power cycle, and soft reset all mean the same thing. … A restart/reboot is a single step that involves both shutting down and then powering on something. When most devices (like computers) are powered down, any and all software programs are also shut down in the process.
How do I restore Ubuntu 20.04 to factory settings?
Open the terminal window by right clicking on your desktop and selecting the Open Terminal menu. By resetting your GNOME desktop settings you will remove all current desktop configurations whether it be wallpapers, icon, shortcuts etc. All done. Your GNOME desktop should now be reset.
How do I erase everything on Ubuntu?
To install wipe on Debian/Ubuntu type:
- apt install wipe -y. The wipe command is useful to remove files, directories partitions or disk. …
- wipe filename. To report on progress type:
- wipe -i filename. To wipe a directory type:
- wipe -r directoryname. …
- wipe -q /dev/sdx. …
- apt install secure-delete. …
- srm filename. …
- srm -r directory.
Will reinstalling ubuntu delete my files?
Select “Reinstall Ubuntu 17.10”. This option will keep your documents, music and other personal files intact. The installer will try to keep your installed software too where possible. However, any personalized system settings like auto-startup applications, keyboard shortcuts, etc. will be deleted.
Will Ubuntu upgrade delete my files?
You can upgrade all currently supported versions of Ubuntu (Ubuntu 12.04/14.04/16.04) without losing your installed applications and stored files. Packages should only be removed by the upgrade if they were originally installed as dependencies of other packages, or if they conflict with newly installed packages.
How can I fix Ubuntu OS without reinstalling it?
First of all, try to login with live cd and backup your data in an external drive. Just in case, if this method didn’t work, you can still have your data and reinstall everything! At the login screen, press CTRL+ALT+F1 to switch to tty1.
How do I repair Ubuntu?
The graphical way
- Insert your Ubuntu CD, reboot your computer and set it to boot from CD in the BIOS and boot into a live session. You can also use a LiveUSB if you have created one in the past.
- Install and run Boot-Repair.
- Click “Recommended Repair”.
- Now reboot your system. The usual GRUB boot menu should appear.
Can I reinstall Ubuntu?
How To Reinstall Ubuntu. Since Hardy it is possible to reinstall Ubuntu without losing the content of the /home folder (the folder that contains program settings, internet bookmarks, emails and all your documents, music, videos and other user files).
How do I restore Linux Mint to factory settings?
Once you have installed launch it from application menu. Hit Custom Reset button and select the application which you want to remove then hit Next button. This will install missed pre-installed packages as per manifest file. Select the users which you want to remove.